The Depozitory has seen a massive refurbishment between the years 2000-2003 to get it back to it's original condition and it's 19th century glory. Skilled tradesmen from the Island spent a considerable amount of time to improve the building.
Our thanks go to David who was our contractor and to Steve our carpenter craftsman, Chris who did our decorations and Jim who did the electrics, Brian helped with our roofing works so did another Jim for basement works.
The building was unoccupied for considerable amount of time during the recession of mid 90's.Most windows (especially the ones facing the sea) were boarded up, external paintwork had deteriorated and rendering had fallen off. In addition the rear extension which included the brick boiler flue was at a state of collapse.
This area was a dark, damp and unattended place, especially the rear boiler room where the floor had to be concreted up to stop the rising damp.
The Ground Floor
The original pews were long gone but the original 170 year old wooden floor with aisles remained. However they were unattended for nearly 80 years and the floorboards were not recognizable. They had to be all sanded down and polished and the original shine was back again. The half height wall paneling was restored and painted, the original cast iron central heating pipes were cleaned and re-paint.
The First Floor
This add on floor after the building was put into use as a warehouse had the magnificent 1832 ceiling rose and we decided that we should not touch it up as it was in such good shape. The rest of the ceiling was in very poor state mainly because the internal guttering was leaking for many years and plaster and lathe ceiling boards had collapsed. Once we removed the boards of the windows and re-worked the wooden window frames and replaced approx 200 glasspanes the sunlight was back into the first floor once again. Sanding down of the relatively new floor boards (1920 installed) and fitting 6 chandeliers which we hand carried from Chezchoslovakia concluded our works.